Northumberland County Council provides a large and diverse range of services across one of the largest counties in England. Ongoing challenges in Local Government combined with the diversity of our communities means smarter working is essential. That’s why we want bold, creative, and agile thinkers who can help us move forward and innovate. For further information about working for Northumberland County Council, please click here; http://northumberland.gov.uk/working.
Trading Standards and Animal Health forms part of the wider remit of the Business Compliance and Public Safety Unit. In turn, this sits within the Council’s Housing and Public Protection Service. Whilst operationally managed by as a single team and integrated working is encouraged, Trading Standards and Animal Health are two separate functions with their own dedicated officers, each led by a Senior Trading Standards Officer.
This is a unique opportunity to join the Trading Standards team as a Fair Trading Officer working 18.5 hours per week on a flexible working pattern that can be mutually agreed. We are looking for an officer who is qualified under the Food Standards Agency code of practice to carry out Food Standards inspections and ideally, is up to date with competency requirements. However, lapsed competency should not prevent you from making an application for this role. The successful applicant will also be expected to participate in the duty officer rota and respond to incoming complaints and enquiries across the general Trading Standards remit.
We are offering:
- A permanent position working 18.5 hours per week (pattern to be agreed)
- A salary of £14,587 - £16,399 (Band 7)
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- A wide range of staff benefits including competitive annual leave provision
- Flexible working arrangements
Essential criteria for appointment at band 7 grading includes the need for:
- a minimum of 5 GCSES (or equivalents) at grade C / grade 4 or higher
- A recognised qualification to carry out Food Standards inspections
- experience in a comparable investigatory role,
- An ability to engage effectively with colleagues, customers and businesses,
- Being an effective team player but also able to work unsupervised.
For more information, please see the attached job description and person specification click here.
For an informal chat please contact Stephen Johnstone, Senior Fair Trading Officer on 01670 623777 or Claire Douglas, Senior Trading Standards Officer on 07748148393
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.