We are looking for an experienced procurement professional to fulfil this truly wide ranging role spanning both category and contract work you will deal with the full procurement lifecycle, touching all elements of the process from cradle to grave.
There are three specific opportunities within Adult Social Care Procurement
1. Domiciliary Care Assistant Procurement Manager:
Essex County Council contract with over 300 domiciliary care providers, who provide care in the home of the most vulnerable adults in Essex. These adults are predominantly older people, though adults with disabilities and mental health conditions also receive care in their home.
The domiciliary care procurement team also manage the Technology Enabled Care contract. This contract, with two key suppliers, covers the assessment and installation of care technology in the home of adults and the call monitoring functionality, should an adult require urgent attention e.g. following on from a fall. Technology is constantly evolving; from traditional alarm pendants to Alexa, fall sensory equipment and exoskeletons. The successful applicant will be responsible for managing the Tech Enabled Care contract, which is in the second of a 4 year term. and driving continuous improvement. The successful applicant will also be part of a team of 6 people overseeing the domiciliary care contract. Estimated 70% contract management/ 30% sourcing. Domiciliary Care spend circa: £150m per annum
2. Residential Care Assistant Procurement Manager:
Essex County Council work with over 300 residential care homes and nursing homes across Essex. We spend circa £130m per annum and have established a large framework contract in partnership with the NHS, who also access nursing homes across Essex.
The role will be predominantly a contract management role, working as part of a team of 6, being responsible for managing relationships with a number of care homes in a locality and driving continuous improvement for the benefit of residents, the care homes and Essex County Council.
3. Intermediate Care Assistant Procurement Manager:
Essex County Council works closely with the NHS to deliver intermediate care services, particularly reablement services, which provide care and therapy support for adults at home, usually following on from a hospital stay. Spend is circa £40m per annum on intermediate care services. We have strategic partnerships with 6 care providers and are currently tendering for a significant percentage. We also work in partnership with our arms length management organisation, Essex Cares Ltd, who provide reablement services across Essex. The Intermediate Care team also oversee the Equipment contract, which provides equipment to support adults in receipt of care. This contract is also currently out to tender.
The successful applicant will be focusing on intermediate care services, which is likely to involve 50% contract management and 50% sourcing/ category planning activity.
Why work with us?
· Make a difference to the local community, be that infrastructure, climate change or adult social care and help us transform Essex to a circular economy as we redefine growth and focus on positive society-wide benefits.
· We are a very large procurement team with circa 120 staff and have seen the department grow by 25% over the last 18 months. Annual Spend of £1.2 billion.
· We are the only CIPS accredited County Council in the UK.
· We are the largest Local Authority Procurement Team in the UK and have a national reputation for excellence.
· Work for a high performing team with great team morale and friendly, helpful, and supportive colleagues.
· Happy to consider Public and Private sector backgrounds.
· Great training pathways. Encouragement to all staff for their continual professional development with full support and guidance towards CIPS / MCIPS.
· Flexible working – with no official start or finish time you can make your work arrangement work around the other elements of your life offering a fantastic work / life balance.
· Local Authority Pension Scheme. For more details please visit: https://www.essexpensionfund.co.uk/
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holiday.
- 37 hour working week.
· Continuous Service – Joining us from another local authority? Then you could benefit from bringing your time served and benefits with you.
· Lead the development, maintenance and implementation of category strategies, ensuring alignment to commissioning objectives.
· Develop and implement innovative approaches and solutions in the delivery of complex projects to enhance levels of service and minimise costs. This requires working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation and externally, to ensure best practice can be achieved when implementing new ways of working.
· Collaborate with Senior Managers and Members as to the commercial and financial viability of differing commercial options for specific projects within complex and at times, contentious environments.
· Manage suppliers to ensure they consistently achieve the performance standards set out in contracts and that adequate controls are in place to protect the Authority’s interests. Take a proactive approach to identifying and investigating contractual, commercial and market risks to ensure continuity of supply and protect the Authority’s interests.
· Operate a continuous improvement approach to identify and deliver on-going changes whilst also leading the negotiation of commercial and contractual changes to ensure they consistently meet business requirements.
· Lead projects and tenders, ensuring all sourcing activity fully complies with appropriate legislation and regulation whilst also complying with ECC policies.
· Work collaboratively with incumbent suppliers and potential new entrants to identify gaps in market provision and explore opportunities to close those gaps.
· Provide support and advice to stakeholders regarding any contractual or procurement matters.
· Support the adoption of best practice approaches with the aim of ensuring that the Procurement function is seen as ‘best in class’. Ensure policies, procedures, documents and workflows are kept up-to-date and remain best in class.
· Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Educated to A level with a relevant professional qualification such as MCIPS or working towards such a qualification or equivalent demonstrable work experience with evidence of continuing professional development.
· Knowledge of category management and experience of using this methodology to deliver cost or service improvements.
· A demonstrable track record of managing strategic contracts in business critical environments. This should include evidence of defining, measuring and improving key elements of supplier performance.
· Evidence of some experience of delivering continuous improvements in strategic arrangements with evidence of generating significant cost and service benefits.
· Evidence of some knowledge of contract law and legislation relevant to the specific category / categories within their control and its impact on market management, finance and contractual arrangements.
· Knowledge of public sector procurement law with an ability to explain the law to non-procurement staff and find pragmatic solutions to potential legal difficulties would be of benefit.
· Comprehensive negotiating skills appropriate and experience of planning and delivering successful negotiations.
· An awareness of working in a political environment.
For more information on the procurement service and the wider Finance, Procurement and Technology function of Essex County Council please click on the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/role/finance-technology/
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. To read more please visit: https://www.workingforessex.com/about-us/
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please visit this link: https://www.workingforessex.com/organisational-behaviours/
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found via https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.