Welcome, and thank you for your interest in learning more about City of York Council and this exciting role.
York is a wonderful place to live and work and it is quite rightly famous across the globe, but there is so much more to the city than its’ rich history and amazing heritage. York is dynamic and thriving, modern and forward looking. It has a distinctive geography: a compact city at the heart of a large rural area in North Yorkshire with peerless national transport links.
York has a strong economy and we responded well to the challenges of covid. We have high employment, wages above average, productivity among the highest in the North, a great education system and the reputation as a great place to live. But we are also an expensive city for housing and too many people in York are struggling to get by. We need to drive growth but ensure that it is both inclusive and sustainable as a part of our ambitions to be part of a carbon negative region.
We are crafting our future economic strategy and launching our vision to regenerate our city centre. The Regeneration and Economy team have built strong and trusting relationships with a wide range of city stakeholders and we have a great track record for attracting funding and delivering schemes that help our city to thrive.
We see York as the centre of globally significant clusters in rail and bio-technology, leading the way in demonstrating the benefits of the green economy, and a beacon for flexible, productive jobs that enable our people to make the most of their abilities and live well. We want York to be in the top 25% of UK economies and that means increasing productivity and pay while continuing to grow new skills in our workforce
This is a really exciting time to be joining us, as we have many significant projects and major programmes of work which you will lead, some of which have a national profile. We have a number of exciting regeneration schemes including York Central, Castle Gateway and My City Centre - all of which are innovative, cutting edge projects that will place you right at the heart of shaping our city for the future. We are renowned for the quality of our work and are proud to have been shortlisted for awards in the Best Housing Delivery Team and Economic Growth Team at the LGC Awards due to be hosted shortly.
I am looking for a leader who can be as passionate and enthusiastic about what we are doing as we are and who will have the ability to lead and influence at the most senior level. This role provides a fascinating blend of working strategically with city stakeholders, communities and leaders across the Council to help shape thinking and policy, as well as managing talented teams to deliver visible results for the long term.
This role will appeal to an ambitious, strategic and forward thinking leader who is familiar with forming collaborative partnerships with many different stakeholders and who understands how to navigate within an often changing, complex and political landscape. This is a fascinating role with a number of remits, so you will be required to be able to juggle and manage multiple priorities and projects on a daily basis.
In return, the role will provide you with the opportunity to make a significant difference as well as a platform to truly enhance your career. Reporting to myself, you will find that you will be welcomed by a supportive and experienced team. The role will provide you with the kind of professional challenge and complexity you will naturally aspire to as an ambitious leader, whilst our size means that you can really see the fruits of your labour.
As a key member of the Council’s wider leadership team, the role will have responsibility for:
- Leading the development of economic and spatial regeneration strategies for the city with responsibility for all CYC regeneration activity
- Developing and shaping the wider corporate agenda and supporting and deputising for the Director of Housing, Economy and Place in city wide emergency responses
- Developing comprehensive masterplans for targeted regeneration of underperforming parts of the city
- Co-ordinating the Council’s economic response to key events such as Covid and flooding, ensuring that the needs and interests of businesses are reflected in the city’s response
- Leading the development and implementation of York’s economic strategy
- Meeting the objectives set out in the Council plan and city 10 year strategy to develop well paid jobs in an inclusive and sustainable economy
- Managing collaborative relationships with external stakeholders and internal officers
- Promoting inward investment in the city, attracting new employers and helping existing businesses to grow
- Developing and managing service and financial plans - responsible for budget management across Regeneration and Economy
- Engaging with national and regional funding bodies to secure appropriate external funding for regeneration projects and economic development initiatives
- Representing the council in the media, this will include television, radio and print interviews
If you are interested in joining our team and are inspired to help lead the next phase of our journey, we look forward to your application.
For further information and to apply now click on Apply!
Close Date: Sunday 24 July (midnight)