Are you a qualified Accountant looking to take the next step in your career?
Would you be up for the challenge of taking the lead on providing financial support for our Strategic Housing & Regeneration strategy through some key & exciting changes?
Then this could be the role for you…
Working at The Municipal Journal Local Authority of the Year 2022, you will take a pro-active approach to progressing and resolving financial issues. You will need excellent communication skills, being able to present financial information and make it clear and relevant for Service Managers and Directors.
Reporting to the Group Accountant, you will work closely with colleagues including senior managers within Housing, Employment & Infrastructure and Policy & Governance service areas along with your own direct reports, in addition to external partners including Homes England, other grant bodies, parish councils, auditors, contractors and suppliers.
The Strategic Housing and Regeneration team drives the expansion and development of homes within the Borough supporting a number of vulnerable groups. You will support Senior Managers by developing business cases through to the subsequent effective financial management information once those solutions are implemented.
You will ensure that the Service Delivery Managers and budget holders have the finance performance data they need to make critical decisions.
Ideally with Local Government experience, you will need substantial experience of solving complex problems.
In return, you will receive a competitive salary, membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme, free on-site parking, reimbursement of professional fees and other benefits including salary sacrifice schemes and local discounts.
We are well adapted to a hybrid model of working which includes a combination of time spent in the office and at home. Our approach is to promote greater level of flexible working around personal and family commitments
You would provide support to the Housing, Employment & Infrastructure and also Policy & Governance Service areas.
You would support and take the lead on providing financial support for our Strategic Housing & Regeneration strategy through some key & exciting changes.
The Finance teams are managed by two Service Delivery managers, with circa 68 members of staff within the team.
- The post holder will be a qualified accountant who will provide specialist technical financial information and advice and act as a finance lead for specific, complex work areas including projects and programmes:
- Producing and providing financial advice and management information to support the effective and efficient delivery of services by Service Delivery and other managers.
- Production of financial information required to meet statutory requirements, including completion of final accounts, budget information and government returns.
- Providing financial challenge Management of a small number of staff to ensure delivery of the above
- Experience relevant to the role as detailed in the job description
- Previous Local Government Finance experience including advising senior officers
- Experience of solving complex problems and identifying options
- Experience of working to and consistently meeting deadlines
Skills and experience
Proactive approach to progressing and resolving financial issues appropriate to the job role
- Good interpersonal skills providing effective customer support
- Able to supervise and deploy staff
- Ability to analyse and interpret financial information to identify financial implications
- Ability to undertake complex costings and assessment of financial implications arising • Understand the concept of Value for Money
- Good communication skills and the ability to present complex financial information and outcomes in a format accessible to the user
- Produce accurate and robust work to required deadlines
- Prioritise effectively whilst dealing with competing demands and a challenging workload
- Good ICT skills for reporting including a good understanding of all systems available and effective use of these Proven negotiating skills and the ability to influence with tact and diplomacy
We are committed to equality and diversity. Posts working with children or vulnerable groups will be subject to an appropriate criminal records check.
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.