City of York Council are looking for an experienced candidate to lead our Highway Adoptions team. It’s an exciting time to join us as a large number of housing and commercial development sites will be progressing to construction stage in the coming months and years.
In this key role, you will lead the authority’s highway adoption process, approving technical drawings, and ensuring that the team monitors development sites as they are built so that they are delivered in line with approved technical drawings. You will lead the authority S38/S278 process and support the timely adoption of highway infrastructure in York.
We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate:
- Experience of working with a Local Authority or a house builder in either an engineering or a highways adoption role, preferably at team lead/managerial level.
- Ability to lead a team to ensure efficient processes are in place to review drawings, visit sites and address construction issues with developers whilst ensuring that the authority’s interests are protected at all times
- Ability to interpret and produce engineering drawings and design information and to train others in this field
- Ideally, you will also hold a relevant civil engineering related qualification or be able to demonstrate equivalent experience
You can apply online here or, if you would prefer, please send your CV to email@example.com
Please note - your CV must contain (as a minimum):
- Name and contact details (telephone, email, address)
- Full employment history (name of employer, job titles, dates of employment and salary)
- Explanation of any gaps in employment
- Contact details of at least two referees including current / most recent employer
The Council is committed to investing in the talent and wellbeing of our staff and can offer a generous annual leave allowance, access to the Local Government Pension Scheme, comprehensive Health & Wellbeing initiatives and a reward package which recognises your contribution. We can offer flexible working practices, community engagement and volunteer activities and, as part of our commitment to you, promote continuous Learning & Development. In addition we also offer a growing range of discounts, rewards and savings.
At the moment due to the impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, some of our staff are working remotely from home but a return to a combination of working remotely and physically from the Council’s offices is anticipated in the near future.
As a new starter, your contractual location will be the designated council office for your team. Your working arrangements will vary according to your service and role, and the current Government guidance. For many roles, there will be more opportunities in the future for remote and hybrid working. However, this comes with the expectation that, as workplaces open up, there is likely to be an ongoing and occasional requirement to attend the workplace.
As this role is public facing, applicants will need to demonstrate, at interview, their competency to converse and provide advice and guidance to members of the public, in spoken English to CEFR level C2: Can express him/herself spontaneously at length with a natural conversational flow, avoiding or backtracking around any difficulty so smoothly that the person with whom they are conversing is hardly aware of it.
For further information or an informal discussion please contact Helene Vergereau (Traffic and Highway Development Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01904 552077
Closing date: Sunday 7 August 2022 at 12 midnight
Applications will be considered on receipt and interviews arranged for any suitable candidates on a rolling basis. We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.