- Are you looking for working arrangements that enhance your work-life balance?
- Do you want to join a positive and ambitious team?
- Are you qualified to degree level in a subject relevant to planning and want to improve your understanding of national, regional and local planning policy?
If so, we’d love to hear from you!
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Spatial and Transport Planning service for a permanent full-time Policy Planner to be based within a team of professional planners, leading on the development of the Wandsworth and Richmond Local Plans and related policies. There has never been a more challenging – or rewarding – time to work for Richmond and Wandsworth.
About the role
The Planner (Policy) will contribute to the preparation and development of policies as part of the two boroughs’ Local Plans and other policy documents. Depending on your skills and experience, you will take on specialist projects related to planning policy, including leading on relevant policies and their broader implementation within the borough.
You will take part in and actively contribute to the preparation for public consultation and engagement exercises relating to the development and review of local planning policies and guidance.
You will also assist on the preparation of specialist evidence and statements for the Local Plan Examinations in Public, as well as in respect of planning appeals.
Under the supervision of senior colleagues, you will provide planning policy advice on planning applications and pre-application advice requests to agreed timescales.
You will have the opportunity to grow and develop your skills, and address new challenges positively and constructively, working alongside more senior colleagues in the team who will provide you with the right tools and confidence to take your career forward. This is a career-graded post which will enable you to gain an excellent grasp of the challenges of developing and applying planning policies in practice.
The complexity of projects you will get involved in will vary depending on your experience.
The role is based within the Richmond and Wandsworth Shared Staffing Arrangement and will involve working on both Boroughs’ Local Plans.
Who we are
We are part of the Planning and Transport Strategy Division and the Spatial and Transport Planning Service under the wider Environment and Community Services Directorate.
We are positive and ambitious – When you join us, you’ll apply the same approach.
- have a positive attitude and outlook, and a willingness to take on challenges and responsibility;
- take a key role in a progressive team of planning professionals in providing definitive and professional advice for the two Councils;
- bring knowledge and understanding of national, regional and local planning policy and associated legislative requirements and policy guidance;
- have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing;
- create and apply planning policy and strategy and deliver successful planning outcomes;
- help to deliver a high quality, robust and transparent Spatial Planning service; and
- ensure decision making within tight time frames and that the Spatial and Transport Planning service is recognised as delivering an excellent planning service for all of our customers.
If you don’t already have a planning qualification, you will also be willing to undertake a postgraduate or other programme of training leading to a recognised planning qualification.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity in more detail, please contact Andrea Kitzberger-Smith, Spatial Planning and Design Team Manager on 020 8891 7364 or email email@example.com.
Anonymised Application Guide for candidates
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.