We have an exciting opportunity to join our newly established Safety, Health, Environment and Quality team. To increase our capacity, we have a vacancy for a Health and Safety Advisor to join the existing team.
This role will provide additional support to Council wide services as well as building stronger relationships with our partners and stakeholders. This is a key role within an established professional Health and Safety Team, but also a team and organisation that is set for change to drive forward an improved Safety, Health, Environment and Quality service for the future.
Under the direction of Health and Safety Manager, you will support the overall management objectives of the wider SHEQ Service, providing professional advice and support on a range of Health and Safety topics to all council services and Maintained Schools. You will therefore need to be professionally qualified to a minimum of NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent, with skills and experience of being proactive in developing a positive Health and Safety culture within large and diverse organisations. Demonstrating broad depth and breadth of health and safety knowledge and a desire to professionally develop yourself and others will be welcomed.
Key tasks will include:
- day to day management and monitoring of accident and incident data, investigations, audits, and assurance checks across the council.
- Assisting and developing, policy, health and safety arrangements, risk assessment and safe systems of work are essential elements of the responsibilities. You will need the skill and ability to directly support Council Services and effectively communicate pragmatic solution-based guidance.
- Forging excellent working relationships with others and facilitating and developing effective partnerships with Trade Unions and other employees’ representatives is essential.
As an individual if you have the drive and ambition with a genuine passion to succeed in promoting safety and wellbeing, then we want to hear from you. In return we’ve created an open, inclusive work environment where staff wellbeing and mental health are as important as our service goals and priorities. We take a flexible approach to working and everyone has the opportunity and encouraged to develop their skills, knowledge and grow their careers.
What can I expect?
This is a Full-Time post of 37 hours per week.
- 30 days of Holidays plus 8 Bank Holidays.
- Support and ongoing training.
- Discounted and subsidised public transport (Arriva Bus Annual Travel Ticket, Northern Trains Limited (NTL), MetroCard)
- The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Great range of benefits including discounted membership to our excellent leisure facilities with free 12 weeks exercise program with a dedicated personal trainer, discounts for a range of retail, entertainment, health and leisure providers, cycle to work scheme and many more.
Want to Know More?
If you would like to know more about the role, the recruitment process or working for Wakefield Council feel free to contact Kevin Miller.
JGC784 003 Health and Safety Advisor (002).doc
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.