Qualifications: The post holder will either hold, or be able to attain the relevant certificates of competence within a reasonable timeframe, for example:
- Certificate of Technical Competence (COTC) Level 4 Occupational Certificate of Competence (OCC)
- First Aid at Work
All training and support will be provided by the council.
- Experience of the monitoring or supervision of waste operations is desirable but not essential.
- Good communication skills and the ability to influence staff to ensure operational practices are implemented.
- The ability to solve operational problems using initiative and experience.
- The ability to issue accurate instructions to other members of staff and supervise the delivery of those instructions.
- The ability to lead by example.
- A commitment to provide high levels of customer service.
- A commitment to health and safety.
- Experience of delivering training packages to staff of a variety of levels and abilities.
Role Context Information:
Lancashire is the fourth largest local authority in England and covers a huge geographic area and a wide range of communities both urban and rural. Lancashire County Council manages over half a million tonnes of municipal waste each year. The council has a network of waste facilities which includes the direct operation of 16 household waste recycling centres and two waste transfer stations.
If you have the motivation and commitment, and a real desire to make a difference to how we manage our waste in Lancashire, you will be rewarded with a varied role that offers good training and development opportunities.
The role will include the day-to-day supervision and direction of operational staff across all waste operations. Operations supervisors will use their practical and procedural knowledge and judgment to interpret situations and solve problems that arise during the operation of the service. Post holders will be expected to make decisions as to whether operations are carried out in accordance with instructions and intervene where necessary, as well as respond to situations independently in the absence of more senior managers.
The Operations Supervisor will monitor, audit and report on how operational systems are being delivered on facilities and will assist in the implementation of new systems as well as initiatives to improve performance and efficiency.
In addition the Operations Supervisor will be involved in the direct delivery of operations on sites, routinely carrying out the duties of Site Supervisors and wider operational staff as required.
Typical duties will include the following:
- Being the technical reference for operational staff, following implemented working patterns and promoting best practice and an efficient and effective service that meets customer service requirements.
- Supervising, directing and assisting operational staff in delivering day to day duties. The direct delivery of site operations including covering for Site Supervisors and wider operational staff.
- Dealing with customer complaints, queries and enquiries.
- Direct engagement with customers including potentially managing difficult situations or customers.
- Assisting with the administration, monitoring and auditing of support systems and processes.
- Undertaking service support activities such as training on systems or work methods.
- Ensuring that all operational facilities are kept tidy and compliant with quality, environmental and health & safety standards.
- Using specialist equipment such as excavators and assisting with the training of others in the use of the specialist equipment.
- Liaison with contractors to ensure compliance with site rules.
- Liaison with outside bodies as required to support the delivery of the service. Supporting the Operations and Assistant Operations Managers in aspects of the delivery of their roles appropriate to the grade of the post.
- The post holder will be required to work on Bank Holidays in rota irrespective of whether the Bank Holidays fall on their normal working day.
- The post holder will be required to use an LCC vehicle in relation to their role.
- The post holder will be required to undertake relevant competency qualifications if they don't already hold them and renew or refresh these as required.
- The post holder will be required to be trained in the operation of any mechanical plant associated with the role.
Job Description and Person Specification
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.