- Are you interested in the future of transport?
- Are you interested in being part of developing a sustainable and effective local transport system?
- Are you interested in learning how local government can help shape the future of transport?
- Are you interested in achieving a BSc Honours degree in Transport Planning as part of a Degree Apprenticeship in Transport Planning; whilst gaining varied and valuable work experience in a paid role?
- Do you have (or expect to have achieved by September 2022), 3 A Levels; or equivalent Level 3 qualifications; and GCSE Grades A – C or 4 – 9; in English and GCSE Grade A – C or 5 – 9 in Maths or equivalent qualifications?
The Transportation Planning Team at Wakefield Council is recruiting an Apprentice in Transport Planning to start in September 2022. The Transportation Planning Team are involved in developing and delivering programmes of sustainable travel infrastructure projects; especially work which supports and encourages greater use of public transport, cycling and walking. This is an opportunity to work on prestigious multi-million pound investments into the Wakefield district; together with an opportunity to take the first steps in developing a career in the public sector policy and infrastructure planning. The team are also responsible for developing transportation policies and strategies, and monitoring transport related activity in the area; alongside a range of regional partners.
This work includes detailed technical work which underpins projects and work activities. The successful candidate will need to be highly numerate and interested in working with numbers. An interest in geography and/or economics would be useful, though not essential.
The apprenticeship provides an opportunity to develop professionalism, confidence building; together with skills like handling public/stakeholder relations, and project management.
This is up to a five year fixed term role linked to the full duration and successful completion of the Degree Apprenticeship. This is a career graded role which allows for salary and grade progression subject to satisfactory progress within the role and Degree Apprenticeship.
The Apprentice role involves gaining experience and learning whilst working as part of the Transportation Planning Team at the council. This learning will directly contribute towards the apprenticeship requirements.
An integral part of the Degree Apprenticeship is the participation and completion of the degree course which underpins the learning in the workplace. This is a fully funded five year BSc(hons) degree in Transport Planning. The degree course is provided by Aston University in Birmingham.
There will be six one-week teaching blocks on campus in Birmingham per year; complimented by remote learning. The successful candidate must be able to commit to attend the teaching blocks in Birmingham. For the teaching blocks; travel expenses for one return journey per block will be paid, and good quality accommodation and subsistence on campus will be provided.
If you would like to know more about the role, the recruitment process or working for Wakefield Council feel free to contact Janet Ward.
To apply please click the Apply Now link below