We are looking to recruit a self-motivated and enthusiastic person who has the ability, knowledge and expertise to lead a team of Housing Options Advisors dealing with the homeless duties owed towards applicants. This is a challenging but rewarding role for someone who has experience of working with vulnerable clients and has the skills to work in a highly charged environment. The successful candidate will be a motivational team leader and have excellent organisation, communication and performance management skills to ensure the statutory requirements of the homeless legislation and needs of the customers are met.
What will be expected from me?
- Effectively manage the homeless prevention service to ensure the Council meets its statutory responsibilities to people that are homeless or threatened with homelessness
- Assist applicants to access to a range of homeless prevention interventions including housing options and more specialist advice, homeless commissioned services and universal services.
- Responsible for the management of statutory housing plans and the Housing Needs Panel on behalf of the authority, ensuring they are correctly undertaken in accordance with legislation, case law, guidance and good practice.
- Responsible for the management of the Homeless Prevention service for 16 and 17year olds who become potentially homeless
What I might be doing?
- Provide day to day management and leadership of Housing Options staff
- Monitor and review housing options casework providing caseload management to ensure advice provided is accurate, up to date and in line with current legislation
- Ensure statutory housing plans are developed, monitored and reviewed in accordance with legislation, guidance and good practice.
- Make statutory discharge of homeless duty decisions on behalf of the authority
- Oversee the administration of bonds and other financial incentives within financial regulations and procedures
- Identify risk and assisting in the implementation of risk management strategies
- Provide effective performance management of the Housing Needs Service including the development and maintenance of performance data.
- level 4 of the qualifications and Credit Framework or has significant relevant work-based experience
- understanding of the housing and support needs of homeless and vulnerable people.
- Extensive experience of working with vulnerable clients
- Experience of working within a legislative framework and providing advice on complex matters
What can I expect?
- This is a Full-Time post of 37 hours per week, with a mix of office and homeworking possible.
- 25 days of Holidays plus 8 Bank Holidays.
- Support and ongoing training.
- Discounted and subsidised public transport (Arriva Bus Annual Travel Ticket, Northern Trains Limited (NTL), MetroCard)
- The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Great range of benefits including discounted membership to our excellent leisure facilities with free 12 weeks exercise program with a dedicated personal trainer, discounts for a range of retail, entertainment, health and leisure providers, cycle to work scheme and many more.
For further information please contact Liz Rumbelow on 01924 304576
Want to Know More?
If you would like to know more about the role, the recruitment process or working for Wakefield Council feel free to contact Liz Rumbelow.
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.