- Are you looking for a new challenge in a varied and interesting role where every case is different?
- Are you good at building positive working relationships?
- Do you thrive under pressure?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then there may be an opportunity for you in the Pensions Service based at One Angel Square in Northampton.
The Employers Services team is looking for a new Pensions Officer to join a dynamic team delivering professional advice and support to over 700 scheme employers across the Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire Pension Funds.
This is a part-flexible role, split between the main Council office at One Angel Square and remote working, following initial training.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Louise Hogan:
We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, these include:
What will you be doing?
- Generous annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days annual leave per year, 29 days for senior managers (pro rata, depending on how many hours per week you work), plus bank holidays. An additional 5 days, linked to continuous service, and ability to purchase up to 6 weeks additional leave per year.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
- Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
- Car Lease scheme
- Payment of professional subscription / membership - If your job description requires that you are registered with or are a member of a professional body, WNC will pay for your professional subscription or membership fees.
- Employee Assistance Programme - We have an employee support programme run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities.
- A variety of flexible working options to support your work/life balance, including full or part time, term time, 9-day fortnight, etc. (subject to business needs).
- Our West Ways of Working – We want our workforce to thrive, and we equip our employees with the right technology to support hybrid and collaborative working, on or off site, depending on the role.
- Making a difference - If you want to use your skills and experience with an organisation that are genuinely invested in making a difference, are committed to improving people's lives, and whose success has a direct impact on the wellbeing of your family, friends and people in your local area, then West Northamptonshire Council is the place for you.
The Pensions Officers (Employers Service) are the principal day to day contact, and provide a helpdesk and support service for all employers in both Pension Funds.
The successful candidate will provide support to employers from the start of their relationship with Pensions Service right up to the point that they cease within the Fund. They will help to facilitate entry to the LGPS, provide advice and support on all public sector pension issues as well as undertake work for risk assessments, valuation of the LGPS Funds and calculation of exit payments for employers ceasing in the LGPS.
There will also be the opportunity to:
- Assist employers with understanding their responsibilities within the LGPS,
- Assist with the organisation of training events, annual forums and other presentations,
- Assist with the production and delivery of general employer communications, including maintenance of the LGPS website.
This job is not just about knowing technical pension information - it is about thinking on your feet, asking the right questions and communicating well with both internal and external stakeholders.
Your excellent communication skills and confidence with analysing pension issues will ensure sound, reliable and professional information regarding potentially complex pension issues is clearly explained to non-specialists.
Previous experience of working within the LGPS and ideally experience in a similar role would be highly desirable.
You will be able to pay high attention to detail to ensure all tasks are processed efficiently and accurately in line with the LGPS regulations using a variety of MS Office and IT resources.
Previous experience using Altair and/or ERP is advantageous.
We will provide full and comprehensive training to give you the skills and confidence you need to complete the role.
Please see person specification for a full list of essential and desirable criteria.
We’re a new council, following one of the largest shake-ups in local government reform in recent history. As a new authority, we’re embarking on an exciting journey to deliver exceptional services for our residents, customers and communities.
Our vision at West Northamptonshire Council is ‘to make West Northants a great place to live, work, visit and thrive’. We truly stand by this and work hard every day to make this a reality. Our corporate values, THRIVE, stand for: Trust, High Performance, Respect, Innovate and Empower, they underpin everything we do and how we deliver services.
Hear more from our Chief Executive, Anna Earnshaw, about what it's like to work at West Northants Council https://youtu.be/lV0EfeUF4aU
At West Northants Council, it’s about our people. People who thrive with ambition, bubble with new ideas, demand better ways of working, caring about every detail, and who never shy away from a challenge. Our culture is a gateway for new experiences. A place to forge new opportunities. To empower you in your career and unite you with like-minded people.
When potential is unlocked, talent thrives.
Choose a career that offers you a true sense of achievement, fills you with pride and challenges you in a positive way, every day.
West Northants Council, where careers thrive.