This is an exciting time to join our Environment, Countryside & Parks team! We’re a new local authority, created in April 2021. We’re at the beginning of our journey of shaping what the Environment, Countryside & Parks team looks like at West Northants Council, so there is plenty of opportunity to develop processes, and shape our offering so we can provide the best possible service to our colleagues in our Place directorate.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, these include:
What will you be doing?
- Generous annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days annual leave per year, 29 days for senior managers (pro rata, depending on how many hours per week you work), plus bank holidays. An additional 5 days, linked to continuous service, and ability to purchase up to 6 weeks additional leave per year.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
- Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
- Car Lease scheme
- Payment of professional subscription / membership - If your job description requires that you are registered with or are a member of a professional body, WNC will pay for your professional subscription or membership fees.
- Employee Assistance Programme - We have an employee support programme run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities.
- A variety of flexible working options to support your work/life balance, including full or part time, term time, 9-day fortnight, etc. (subject to business needs).
- Our West Ways of Working – We want our workforce to thrive, and we equip our employees with the right technology to support hybrid and collaborative working, on or off site, depending on the role.
- Making a difference - If you want to use your skills and experience with an organisation that are genuinely invested in making a difference, are committed to improving people's lives, and whose success has a direct impact on the wellbeing of your family, friends and people in your local area, then West Northamptonshire Council is the place for you.
Working alongside our colleagues in Environment, Countryside & Parks team you’ll be responsible for the continuation of developing the Tree Strategy and implementing a portfolio of projects to manage and protect existing tree stocks, and plan for future planting and maintenance to significantly contribute to nature recovery and mitigate against climate risks in and beyond West Northamptonshire for the benefit of biodiversity and people.
You will work with a variety of public, private and voluntary sector stake holders i.e., landowners, farmers, land managers and specialist advisors to give advice on sourcing, specifying, and planting the right tree(s) at the right location at the right time, and identify opportunities to enhance the nature network, including the opportunities provided by Local Nature Recovery Strategies and Biodiversity Net Gain projects.
The planting of trees to introduce new coppices, forests and street trees will help the restoration of natural habitats across West Northants and enable species to thrive as trees are planted and peatlands restored. As well as enhancing the eco-systems and biodiversity of West Northamptonshire, it will have a significant positive benefit to the physical, mental, social, economic, health and safety, and environmental wellbeing of the residents of West Northamptonshire by delivering projects which will ultimately mitigate flood and fire risks and create green spaces for local people to enjoy.
You don’t need experience across all aspects of the job as that will form part of your development journey, but you will need to be suitability qualified and have demonstrable experience in delivering Arboriculture strategies, polices & procedures, and the creation of associated work programmes. As well as experience of, and demonstrable achievement in, change management within a conservation environment, as this is the central to the role.
You’ll need to have a solution driven and adaptable approach to working, thrive in a busy environment with a positive approach to challenges!
Ideally you will have previous experience of working with national and local policy/initiatives for tree canopy mapping and nature recovery, conservation, and planning, with experience of the planning system. You will be able to smoothly manage multiple tight and conflicting deadlines and work independently, making effective use of time. Whilst being able use your own initiative to 'think outside of the box’. You’ll use your great attention to detail to ensure you develop and maintain good working relationships with a wide range of customers, stakeholders, and partners.
If you’ve got experience of working in local government, that’s great, but not essential; being adept at building relationships with your colleagues and stakeholders and quickly developing an understanding of the WNC’s processes are most important.
We’re a new council, following one of the largest shake-ups in local government reform in recent history. As a new authority, we’re embarking on an exciting journey to deliver exceptional services for our residents, customers and communities.
Our vision at West Northamptonshire Council is ‘to make West Northants a great place to live, work, visit and thrive’. We truly stand by this and work hard every day to make this a reality. Our corporate values, THRIVE, stand for: Trust, High Performance, Respect, Innovate and Empower, they underpin everything we do and how we deliver services.
Hear more from our Chief Executive, Anna Earnshaw, about what it's like to work at West Northants Council https://youtu.be/lV0EfeUF4aU
At West Northants Council, it’s about our people. People who thrive with ambition, bubble with new ideas, demand better ways of working, caring about every detail, and who never shy away from a challenge. Our culture is a gateway for new experiences. A place to forge new opportunities. To empower you in your career and unite you with like-minded people.
When potential is unlocked, talent thrives.
Choose a career that offers you a true sense of achievement, fills you with pride and challenges you in a positive way, every day.
West Northants Council, where careers thrive.