Business Support Apprentice
Fixed Term, Full Time
£10,187 per annum rising to £20,104 per annum on the second year
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 18th December 2023
Are you looking to become a crucial part of a friendly, welcoming and high achieving team? This could be the opportunity you are looking for!
Interviews for this role will take place around the 3rdJanuary 2024.
- Healthy work life balance; flexible and hybrid working options
- Wide range of learning and development opportunities
- IT equipment and home-working equipment supplied
- 26 days annual leave + bank holidays + choice to buy extra
- Generous Local Government Salary related pension scheme
- Access to hundreds of discounts and benefits through Essex Rewards
- Access to our health and wellbeing support platform with LifeWorks
- Disability Confident Leader: we are committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job
- Up to 4 days per annum volunteering leave
- National Apprenticeship Wage for the first 12 months of your Apprenticeship After 12 months of service, your salary will increase to the National Living Wage (currently £20,104 per annum as of 01 April 2023)
- A Customer Service Level 2 or a Business Administrator Level 3 qualification via Adult Community Learning (ACL)
What our apprentices say:
"I really enjoyed my apprenticeship with ECC, I loved that the majority of the apprenticeship is on the job learning and minimal classroom work. The opportunities for career development have been much wider than I originally thought, and the apprenticeship is such a great way to start your career and get your foot in the door with your local council/ government"
"I love the apprenticeship process as you're getting paid as you learn. I have been able to make good connections with other employees and really good relationships throughout my journey so far. It's a great starting point to anyone who hasn't got a clear idea of what work they would like to pursue. Also, the apprenticeship allowed me to try multiple different types of jobs when opportunities came up, so I was able to see what I liked, and I was good at."
Essex County Council is looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our team as an Apprentice within our Business Support function.
The role will be extremely rewarding if you have an interest in office administration, enjoy helping people and being part of a busy team in a challenging role and as an entry point, for someone considering a career in Administration, Local Government or Social Care. ECC highly values its apprentices and successful candidates will be encouraged to develop and in time progress within the organisation, with over 85% securing permanent roles during their apprenticeship.
This position provides the work-based experience to compliment the learning-based elements of the Apprenticeship Framework and will offer you a supportive environment in which to gain a wealth of experience and transferable skills such as IT systems, organisational skills, effective teamwork and communication.
Business Support provide high quality administrative support to all Essex County Council front-line services, so can offer experience in all aspects of customer service and administrative tasks during the apprenticeship.
You will be:
- Educated to RQF level 2 (GCSE) or equivalent by experience
- Highly organised and reliable
- Capable of prioritising a demanding workload and have a "can do" attitude
- Able to take ownership of work and achieve the agreed commitments
- Able to communicate effectively as well as have an ability to build and establish relationships and provide a high-quality service to customers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office/Office 365 applications and willing to learn new systems
- Have a friendly approach and a good phone manner
- Emotionally intelligent
- Good teamwork skills and a commitment to collaboration
- Experienced in a working environment is helpful, but not essential
Essential Requirements for the role:
- Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths and English (or equivalent), which is a Grade D/E or 2/3 to begin the apprenticeship
- Ability to reach a Level 2 Functional Skills in both Maths & English by the End Point Assessment (EPA), if you do not already have this
- Have the right to work and study in England
- Have been ordinarily resident in the UK or EEA for three years before the apprenticeship start date
What will you be doing?
You will assist with the delivery of routine administrative tasks, dealing with day-to-day work including (but not limited to):
- Inputting data from source documents into the relevant recording system, checking the accuracy, verifying and correcting data
- Responding to emails
- Telephone calls
- Front facing customer service
- Maintain your own diary and work pattern management
- Photocopying/ scanning
- Sending letters and dealing with incoming post
- Attend meetings with team colleagues and Managers, either in person or by video
- Working from home or in an office space
- Work alongside other administrative assistants and apprentices who will train you and support you through the day-to-day work
- Follow ECC policies and procedures for task completion and our expected standards of behaviours
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England's oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest - Basildon and Harlow - are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We are committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you need any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We are also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
To read more about us please visit:
Corporate Services: Corporate Services
Entry to Work: Entry to Work
How to apply
Seize the day! Discover your future in Business Administration by clicking the APPLY button now!
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community
If you have queries on this role or require further information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook , Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn . Further details can be found on our careers page .
Pay and Reward | Our Ways of Working | About Us | Organisation Behaviours