Based in the Adult Sensory Needs Service at Morley Street Resource Centre, 124 Morley Street Bradford BD7 1BB
We appreciate your interest in working with Bradford Council. Here in Bradford, great things happen. A vibrant community, innovative businesses, and institutions make up our large, young, and diverse city. At the heart of the north, the district possesses unmatched potential, a growing pipeline of talent, and an exceptional quality of life. A thriving urban district with award-winning public realm, but two-thirds rural, with beautiful landscapes, and open spaces on its doorstep, the district offers opportunities for leisure and lifestyle.
A dynamic cultural sector is central to Bradford's vision for social and economic inclusion. There is an impressive cultural heritage in the district as well as a diverse and exciting contemporary offer with world-class writers, filmmakers, musicians, artists, and foodies.
We are looking to recruit a British Sign Language Interpreting Service Manager to provide services as a member of a multi-disciplinary and dynamic Adult Sensory Needs Service to Deaf people who use BSL. The successful candidate will be skilled and motivated with excellent interpersonal and leadership skills to deliver a quality BSL Interpreting Service.
Our BSL interpreters work both face to face in the community and via video. If you enjoy the variety of community interpreting, we want you to be part of our team to be involved in creatively supporting people to be in control, safe and empowered.
- The main responsibilities of the post are:To manage a team whose task it is to identify, assess and address the communication needs of service users and carers, and to establish, monitor and review support to meet these needs for all their appointments in public services including Health & Social Care or via Mail reading Duty.
- To manage the performance and supervision of individual members of the team ensuring statutory and Departmental policies and guidelines are complied with.
- Alongside the Team Managers and Service Manager, responsible for service improvement, defining the benefits and assessing progress towards realisation and achieving measured improvements.
- Accountable for expenditure against allocated budgets within Department guidelines set out by the Service Manager and maintaining effective monitoring systems for the same.
- Promoting BSL to professionals around the district, including attending team meetings to advise access to communication.
- Communication skills including the use of new technologies such as smart phones, tablets, and apps.
- Working in a variety of settings, including Bradford City of Culture 2025 celebrations.
We would like to hear from you if you possess the following skills, experience, and knowledge:
- Level 6 NVQ or equivalent qualification interpreting (BSL/English) or Post Graduate Diploma in BSL/English Interpreting or CACDP or MA Interpreting BSL/English interpreting
- Ability to honestly and openly gather and share information appropriately to ensure the safety and wellbeing of Service Users whilst knowing the limits of consent and confidentiality including the Data Protection Act
- Display empathy in sometimes difficult and distressing situations.
- Advocating for the rights of access to communication under the Equality Act 2010
- Reporting safeguarding concerns and documenting accurately
- Have a full, valid driving licence (unless a disability prevents this)
Benefits at Bradford Council:
- The induction process, mentoring, and support of experiences colleagues
- Flexible and hybrid working (part home / part office)
- Childcare Vouchers
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- Death in Service benefits
- NRCPD or RBSLI fees paid
- Laptop and smart phone / tablet provided
- Travel Card scheme
- Enterprise Car Club
- Regular professional supervision
- Routes to progression
- Come to our BSL Café and meet new people
- Seven staff network groups: Carers, Disability, LGBTQ+, Race Equality, Women’s Voices, BME Women, Young People’s
- Discounted parking is available across the district.
- Fantastic Corporate Clubactive gym discount.
- Our recently introduced employee benefits and shopping discounts scheme ‘Vivup’.
The platform gives you access to:
- Exclusive shopping discounts
- 24/7 employee assistance programme (EAP)
- Free will writing.
Please note: Although primarily Mon to Friday, your working pattern will be 5 days over 7 including evenings, weekends and bank holidays as required by the needs of the service.
An enhanced disclosure check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) will be undertaken for this post.
The Code of Practice on the English language requirement for public sector workers, Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016, requires that Councils ensure that all candidates applying for customer facing posts must be assessed in order to establish their fluency in English.
The criteria under special knowledge and experience on the job profile which is shown in this advert, outlines what level of fluency you will be expected to demonstrate. Therefore, it is essential that you provide examples in your application.
For further information regarding the post please contact Catherine Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org, Gail Wright at email@example.com or Peter Nevison at firstname.lastname@example.org or please call 01274 435001.
British Sign Language Interpreting Service Manager - JP.doc
To apply please click the Apply Now link below.